- If it’s Critical, Back It Up! Part #1
If it’s Critical, Back It Up! Part #1
Have you ever lost an important computer file that you really needed right now? I bet that each of us has experienced this situation. Hopefully we learn from our mistake and start backing up our critical files.
Pest professionals have the same issue with their pest spray equipment. We rely heavily on our equipment, yet in many cases we have no backup. If you have a piece of equipment that is critical to your pest management business then it is vital that you have a backup.
It doesn’t matter what the equipment is, truck, trailer, power sprayer, duster or B&G sprayer, Birchmeier backpack, etc. If you can’t do your job without the item, keep a backup. We see pest control firms of all sizes, from owner/operator to huge national fleets that seem surprised when a key piece of equipment fails.
What happens when we don’t have the pest equipment we need to complete our jobs?
- Missed & cancelled appointments
- Unhappy customers
- Lost revenue
- Employee downtime waiting for equipment
- Employee downtime running around town trying to find a solution
- Overtime expenses
- Higher repair expenses.
Here are some of the operating conditions that require backup equipment:
- Equipment failure
- Equipment down for maintenance
- Equipment in the wrong location
- Equipment contains the wrong product (chemical)
- Equipment on a vehicle that was in a traffic accident
- Equipment misused by a technician who causes damage.
It gets worse. Pest control equipment fails during your busy season, when you can least afford downtime. This is also the time when your customer’s pest pressure is greatest so they may be less willing to tolerate delays. Demand for repair services is greatest – there may be a delay in getting a replacement.