- Effective home pest control tips and home remedy to kill ants
Effective home pest control tips and home remedy to kill ants
We all love the desert. It's why we live here. Life is good as long as we have a successful home remedy to kill ants and know how to get rid of roaches. Unfortunately, one downside to desert living is pests: roaches, crickets, scorpions, ants, rats, etc. These creatures were here before us and they will be here after us, and unlike other parts of the US, we don't have a winter season to reduce pest numbers.
Your professional pest control technician can help you reduce and eliminate pests from your home. But did you know there are a number of simple things you can do outside your home, which don't require pesticides, that can contribute to your pest control effort?
Here are a few ideas to get you started including a home remedy to kill ants and some ideas on how to get rid of roaches.
Exclusion (keep the pests from getting in)
- Ensure all doors and windows close properly.
- Weather strip all doors and windows.
- Ensure all screens (on doors and windows) are intact with no holes.
- Ensure the garage door seals tight against the ground; if not weatherstrip it.
- Caulk cracks, crevices and around utility and roof penetrations around the outside of your home; if a gap is too large, stuff it with steel wool.
- Check grout around bathtubs and toilets.
- Check under sinks, often the drywall has large gaps around the pipes.
Clean Up (eliminate food and harborage)
- Prune vegetation so it does not touch the home.
- Prune dead branches.
- Pick up plant debris and fallen fruit.
- Remove old firewood; stack good wood away from the house.
- Keep rain gutters clear.
- Clean up barbecue areas after each use.
- Keep garbage cans clean and lids secured.
- Remove debris and clutter from around the exterior and the garage.
- Pick up pet dishes at night.
- Keep grass cut low.
- Store all open food in the refrigerator or in tightly sealed containers.
Water (water attracts and supports pest populations)
- Ensure irrigation sprinklers are not spraying on home or causing puddles near the foundation.
- Check for plumbing leaks; water that is not where it is supposed to be is almost always a problem.
- Ensure rain gutters are diverting water away from the foundation.
- Eliminate standing water outside the home.
- Check for pests in boxes or packages before bringing them into your home.
- Keep exterior light brightness to a minimum.
- Keep mulch to a minimum depth.
- Always read and follow pesticide label instructions.
If you would like a referral to a Pest Control Professional or information on Do-It-Yourself products, please contact the author.